Friday, June 12, 2009

Summer's Here: A Time for Writing

It's one of my favorite times of the year--Summer! I love the heat, the Florida humidity is better than a steam iron for taking out the wrinkles in my clothes, and it's a great time for writing.

This summer I have an especially light schedule because I won't be going up to Manchester, New Hampshire for my almost-annual pilgrimage to The Never-Endng Odyssey, also known as TNEO. TNEO is one of the those privileges that Odyssey graduates get to experience, a chance to critique other graduates' current work, have your own writing critiqued, attend workshops on craft, and socialize with a great bunch of writers.

I'm not going for two good reasons. First, I lack the money to go, even though TNEO is not expensive--in fact, it's quite reasonable, especially if you consider what it costs to travel and stay on vacations. This was a tough year at school--our teaching salaries were curtailed, and students needed more materials and support than the school's budget could supply. So basically I spent my money on my students, instead, a worthy swap.

Secondly, I'm not going because I didn't get any time to write this year, which was really a madhouse year of effort and change. So, I'll take time to write over the summer and get things organized to continue writing in the Fall. That should ensure that I have good material to bring to next year's TNEO.

I also bet I'll get more sleep this way!

No comments: